Many thanks to Jamie Sanders for featuring me on her blog, The Beauty of Life!
I am so honored to be included with so many industry greats!
The Beauty of Life: First Look Fridays: Makeup Artist Patty Bell
From the Pittsburgh Steelers to the upcoming movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Pittsburgh-based makeup artist Patty Bell has a pretty hectic schedule. She's also one of the sweetest people you could hope to come across! Read on to discover her favorite blush, the makeup brush she thinks everyone needs in their makeup kit, and so much more.
Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and graduated from the Pittsburgh Beauty Academy as a licensed cosmetician. I have been working as a print, film and television makeup artist since 1986 and love every minute of it! I'm currently working as key makeup artist on the film The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
How did you first become interested in makeup, and what led you to become a makeup artist?
Makeup artistry kind of found me! In high school, I could always draw portraits and also did some modeling. That combination, plus the love of fashion, makeup and photography, has made me who I am today. Right after high school graduation, I went to modeling school and it was there that I knew that I really loved makeup. I soon began doing all of my friends, read every book that I could by my idol, Way Bandy, and then my next door neighbor hired me to be a makeup artist for Ralph Lauren cosmetics. After working for years in the department stores, I got "discovered" by my agent, who hired me on my first commercial. My career took off after that, and I eventually got into the hair and makeup union out of New York, IATSE #798.
I am best known for doing natural beauty makeup and makeup for sporting events, having worked for Fox Sports and the Pittsburgh Steelers for 10 years.
What are some of the moments that stand out as highlights in your career?
Wow, so many highlights after so many years...being nominated by my peers as Pittsburgh's Master makeup artist was pretty cool, as well as landing my first national magazine cover and my first film.
Working for television shows such as: The Young and the Restless, Monday Night Football, Versus and NBC Sports is always fun, as well as national campaigns for American Eagle, Levi's and Rue 21.
I also got to star in Makeover Pittsburgh last year, and travel to Novia Scotia to work with NHL's Sidney Crosby, which I loved!
I am very blessed to live in a small/big town with so many amazing opportunities and work with so many legends!
What are your top 5 favorite products?
1) M.A.C Blot Powder Pressed: MUST have in my kit!
2) YSL Touche Eclat Radiant Touch: love, love, love this stuff
3) NARS Laguna/Orgasm blush
4) Mason Pearson hair brushes
5) M.A.C lipliners and Powerpoint Eye Pencils
What are your top 3 makeup tips?
1) Have a makeup lesson at least once it in your life -- the right makeup application can make you look years younger and take 10 years off your life! Don't be afraid to try something new ... it's only makeup, it washes off!
2) ALWAYS use a sunscreen, and AVOID tanning beds at all costs! Make sure your foundation has a sunscreen in it. Using makeup does have its advantages, as foundation really does prevent premature aging and skin cancer.
3) An eyeliner brush is the one makeup brush everyone should have! Seal your eyeliner with eyeshadow to prevent smearing.
Being a makeup artist must be fun -- but what do you do in your spare time?
In my "spare" time, I love being at home with my two teenage boys, and my two collies! I also enjoy spending time with friends, shopping, music, photography, reading, writing and being outdoors.